Abbie is one of our latest rescues. She was found abandoned in the 7th Ward. She has had puppies very recently, but was dumped without her pups -- poor girl. She is a very sweet girl who we believe is a shepherd mix of some sort. She was very, very timid and shy at first -- who can blame her with the life she's lived so far?
Thanks to everyone who helped raise the money for Abbie's vet bills!
Abbie is new to rescue and has only just begun her vetting. She is very underweight and needs to gain some weight before she can be spayed. She is also heartworm positive, so she will need to be treated for that. Heartworm treatment is a several-month-long process, so Abbie will need to be in a foster home during that time. Poor Abbie also has parasites and giardia, which she is being treated for.
Abbie has really blossomed in the month she's been in rescue! She has become a very social, friendly girl. She's great with other dogs. She is extremely well-behaved in the house and is active and playful.
- Breed: shepherd mix
- Sex: female
- Age: young adult 1.5-2 years
- Weight: currently 40, should be 50lbs
- Coat type: medium length, thick
- Coloring: tan with black
- Type of intake: abandoned
- Location: 7th Ward
- with adults: extremely friendly and happy
- with children: unknown, but expected to be good
- with other dogs: excellent, very friendly
- with cats: unknown
Energy and exercise requirements:
- Activity level: moderately active and playful
- Exercise requirements: a couple short walks and/or playtime in the yard or park should be good
- Good running/jogging partner?: would probably be
- Good dog park candidate: yes, excellent
- Good doggy day care candidate: yes, excellent
Behavioral in certain situations:
- in cars: rides well
- in the house: very well-behaved
- house training: very good
- crate trained?: no
- leash trained?: yes
- in kenneling/boarding situations: does well
- at the vet: extremely friendly and well-behaved
History of aggressive, possessive, or territorial behavior:
- ever shown any aggression?: slight with food
- possessive of food: slightly towards other dogs, but not at all with people. If fed separately or in a crate does fine.
- possessive of toys: no
- territorial/protective of house/yard: no
- play style: so far, not very rough
- dominance level: very low to low
- any behavioral issues with other dogs: none
More detailed behavior with cats:
- chases cats?: unknown
- aggressive towards cats?: unknown
- playful with cats?: unknown
- rough with cats?: unknown
- current health conditions: heartworms, intestinal parasites, giardia (all being treated)
- long-term health concerns: none
- behavioral issues: none known
- areas of training that need work: learning basic obedience but will need more work on that. Very manageable and well-mannered
- chews on inappropriate objects?: no
- digs in the yard?: unknown
- pulls on leash?: not much
- jumps up on people?: a little
- mouths/nips at people?: no
- urinates/marks things?: no
Any special adoption criteria: none
Abbie will be ready to go to her new home after heartworm treatment -- about another 2 months.
If you would like more information on Abbie, please email D9adoptions@gmail.com or call 504.222.3686.